Can a Yankee Like Country Music?
Spoon-fed fist-pumping club music for breakfast, country music never seems to be on the menu for the Yankee population.
Born and raised in New Jersey, my fingers hits the dial faster than a baby’s hand on a stove when country music is on the radio. Now that I live down south, it’s way more prevalent…yet, I still don’t like it. I’ve got a challenge for RadioPotato readers.
Here’s the rundown:
- Sugarland doesn’t do it for me (I took big heat for it here)
- I wouldn’t know Travis Tritt if I fell over him (or Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, or whatever their names are…although their names sound like country music versions of stripper names)
- I’ve seen Zac Brown Band a bunch of times before they got huge and um, flatline
- People like Taylor Swift, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood, and Lady Antebellum don’t count – because they are crossover + I kinda like them
- Dolly Parton is the bomb, despite my previous statements
YET, for all you country music fans, there might be a glimmer of hope. Every once in a while, a country music song will be playing over the loudspeakers and I’ll catch some of the songwriting – and BAM. I”m a little drawn in.
So here’s what my request is. Please post a video, link, or suggestion of a song that you think I’ll love. I’m going to find ONE, buy their entire music collection, and promote it here.
For more music musings, stalk RadioPotato at Facebook, Twitter, RadioPotato’s RSS Feed, and at music news super-site, The Silver Tongue where I’m a contributor. Thanks for checking the music out and as always, support emerging artists!