Slow Runner Interview: Darth Vader’s Dreams Sounds Like This
I can’t say I’ve often wondered what Darth Vader’s dreams sound like – but after marinating on indie-pop band Slow Runner’s tagline for their new EP Ghost Rendition announcement video, (Ghost Rendition: It Sounds Like Darth Vader’s Dreams, I’m thinking maybe Darth Vader’s musical tastes lean toward the “lyrical pop music shot out into space” variety.
Paste Magazine honored Slow Runner as one of their choices for 2008’s Best of What’s Next. Their music runs the spectrum of rich polished sounds like the big organic strings and electronic musings found on the song “Rainyface” all the way to songs that are completely deconstructed and simple like “Trying to Put Your Heart Back Together.”
Listen to Slow Runner’s new single “Rainyface” here:
After multiple failed attempts to interview Slow Runner (see their FB fan page that has this Baby Blogger trying to get some time back in 2K9 – even tried to pimp my old blog site), they finally caved in and granted me an interview – thanks to the March 30th release of their new EP, Ghost Rendition.
- Michael Flynn: singer/piano AND keyboards (dear mef: stretching the credits ;-))
- Josh Kaler: drummer, multi-instrumentalist and general musical ass-kicker
- Jonny Gray: bass (member of Jump Little Children)
- Scott Baumil on guitar (formerly of The Young Republicans)
Beyond the brilliant mastering of drummer, Josh Kaler deciphering singer Michael Flynn’s ideas and clever lyrics is Michael’s vocals. His complex voice soars with depth, emotion, and an inherent longing that draws the listener in to hear what happens next in the story. In their previous albums, Slow Runner has dabbled in instrumentals that could easily be used in film. Their new eerie and contemplative title track “Ghost Rendition” sounds like it would be a score for Poltergeist if it was re-made now.
Listen to Ghost Rendition:
- Burning questions answered! Who is the biggest jerk in the band? Who is the mama’s boy? Who’s the biggest chick magnet? Least likely to succeed?
- New EP Ghost Runner uses no real drums at all
- Lead singer Michael Flynn has a man-crush on Tom Waits
- Slow Runner is the 4,960th most famous band on the Internet (according to iStardom.com)
- Taping was paused due to your serious music journalist* laughing too hard at the smarm spewing from the band
- If you listen closely, you’ll hear Julie giggling in the background for much of the interview
- Interview has excessive mentions of Michael’s love for Bon Jovi
- Michael Flynn can play a bad-ass “Sweet Child of Mine” on the accordion
- Josh Kaler’s parents rock the church bell choir
- Smart ass questions answered: What’s on your rider? Leather pants – where do you get yours? What’s more bad ass – destroying a hotel room or waking up on a college campus? and many more.
Without further adue, the full interview can be found on the Podcast section where you can learn all about the past, present, and future of this band whose music will dance on your brain whether you like it or not – plus you’ll probably get some good laughs, too.
Click here for the 5-minute abridged version:
And thanks to my not being able to ask ridiculous questions without bursting into uncontrollable laughter (SNL, pick ME to do Weekend Update!), Julie had to take over. Here’s the smart ass interview:
Touring this Summer, you can follow Slow Runner on MySpace, Twitter, Facebook, and download the new EP Ghost Rendition on Slow Runner’s website after March 30th. I wonder if I’ll see Darth Vader opening for them.
Michael and Josh, thanks for everything! Here are a few of their previous songs:
“The Stakes Were Raised” – Mermaids (2008) (also selected for Fall ’08 Starbucks in-store compilation “Have You Heard”)
“You’re in Luck” – No Disassemble (2006)
“Trying to Put Your Heart Back Together” – Mermaids (2008) …my personal favorite – AR <3
“Long Division” – Shiv! (2007)